Wednesday, October 26, 2005


This was where they came to her, those fantasy friends she lured out of her imagination. A 50 mile drive from the crowd and concrete-metal of the city brought her to her place where sky and horizon lulled her to dream. A man from Venus met her there once and swept her away in blue arms to Saturn for a night of gyrations on the ever-spinning rings. Once, in a summer shower, a cloud creature dropped down out of the heavens, to wrap himself around her, engulfing her in a fog of total sensation. Another time a tree man sauntered along, dragging his roots behind him, and invited her to climb all over him. She fell asleep, cradled gently in his soft branches. There were grass gnomes that grew up to her size, and lanky-limbed colossi folding down to meet her. They were fun, all of her fantastical trysts. Now she heard footsteps in the meadow behind. She turned and saw a man, masculine aesthetic the twin of her ideal. He smiled and she beaconed. She wondered vaguely, as his kiss began, "Is this one reality?"

Story #299

10 comments:

GPV said...

PORIFEROUS: Jumped on my french/english dictionary and nothing, damn it.
Could it mean something that's got a lot to examine, full of things to take apart? Huh ?

Cooper said...

Maybe just me as I 'm under the weather but this was kind of creepy.

Jamie Dawn said...

Those "creatures" remind me of the Neverending Story movie I watched a hundred or so times with my kids when they were little.

Ignatius M. Dedd said...

hey, I can't believe you stopped by to wish me good luck in the blog battle. that was a classy move. cheers.

The Mushroom said...

The artist said "How can I improve a perfect sunset?"
And then he noticed she was coming down the road, so he waved his arms and when she stopped he said "Pardon me, Miss..."

Indeterminacy said...

Lula: Thank you for the compliment. I feel it's getting harder to write stories, and then I never think they're good anymore.

GPV: Those language dictionaries always leave out the really important words. I tried that google trick with word & definition and found this:
adj : full of pores or vessels or holes [syn: porous] [ant: nonporous].

Alice: I was always good at creeping out girls. Even in high school. They'd just look at me and be creeped out.

Jamie: Now that you mention it, I think I vaguely remember that, too. But I hadn't thought about that movie in ages.

i.m.dedd: I saw your blog the first time yesterday, but I'll be back to read the archives. It's my kind of humor.

Mushroom: I'd just as soon erase my story and copy yours in instead.

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhh..........that sounds like fun! Thanks for that one!
Peace..........

Indeterminacy said...

Helen, well, thank you too. Wish you'd gone to my high school ;-)

Indeterminacy said...

P.S. Today's story will be posted in a few hours

The Mushroom said...

Indie: I still creep out girls, and it's no longer for sport. And I'm flattered you think my two-line response was THAT good (I wasn't particularly trying); it was just a moment in time without being phrased as a haiku.