Friday, October 14, 2005


Merv the mechanic had recurring hallucinations, but he lived with the condition because his visions depicted a beauty of tender age, flitting and dancing about. He labored his years repairing motors that had lost their youth, glancing up with middle-aged eyes to breath a glimpse of his transient companion. She assisted him often, guiding his hand to a tool he might need to loosen some rusting piece of metal. Sometimes, even, his eyes followed her instead of his work, but his masterful hands performed on their own, without visual direction. Screwdrivers, clamps, hammers and wrenches were pleasant to hold in the presence of her grease-stained allures. And when she joined him during lunch break on the back seat of a car he felt oh so youthful again. Merv returned home each night to his corpulent spouse, his blood afire for her undesirability. His passioned inclination to satisfy her never waned, and her responding smile was the same smile she had given him in the years of her girlhood, once again the twin of his daily vision.

Story #293

8 comments:

Indeterminacy said...

Sorry folks, I posted this a few hours ago, or thought I did. For some reason it didn't publish.

Jamie Dawn said...

Well, at least his corpulent spouse is happy. I hope he is too.

Michael said...

Cool story.

Take Care
Michael

Tom & Icy said...

That was touching. I notice that several stories lately have been sentimental. That's really nice.

The Mushroom said...

There's a reason some people lose themselves in their work. Sometimes your work is all you have to keep you sane or happy.

saksak puso files said...

^:)^ wicked story indie__

Indeterminacy said...

Jamie: I guess he's happy.

Michael: Thanks - that cheers me up. Actually, this is one of my stories that I didn't like that much, because I think it could have been much better.

Tom&Icy: Don't ask me where this sudden mood is coming from.

Mushroom: Work is driving me crazy at the moment ;-)

Saksak Puso: I like to be wicked ;-) (But some days it works better than others).

Anonymous said...

I liked this story, Indie, especially the turn at the end. I agree with T&I that it was touching.