Thursday, August 17, 2006

This Week's Cool

After the interruptions of vacation, I feel my brain cells settling back into place and I'm able to take time to tell you about some of the interesting blogs I've found lately...

My Postcard Fiction is a new story blog by Bob Boyd that promises to tell us a story a day. And what stories they are! Everything I've read there has been entertaining, imaginative, well-written, and full of surprises. My favorite at the moment is "One Day I Woke Up Fluent In The Languages of Animals," a delightful fantasy about a man who can suddenly speak to animals. The stories are sometimes surrealistic, but not off the deep end (like my own stories), scary, as in "The Buzz," quirky, as in "Confessions of an Ex-Vegan" folksy, as in "Granny's Tulips." This selection is completely arbitrary. I just reached into the sand and came out with a hand full of amber.

"Aaaby sprzedać... dodaj fotkę" is a new Polish language blog by three divas with a Slavic sense of humor. I'm a sucker for three divas with a sense of humor in any language. The site is a parody of Internet auctions, and it was possible for me to enjoy at least one of the captions with the help of the Polish language babelfish translator Poltran. This caption, for example: "It is borne according to newest trends on legs. But at least on one, it is possible to pack potatoes to second (other) net." goes with this post. Enjoy! But of course the humor works best if you happen to speak Polish. (I found the blog using the Blogger "next blog" button to get away from my own blog.)

Ediciones Efimeras, the Spanish language e-zine of surrealistic fiction has included another translation of one of my stories. The cool thing is that in the Spanish translation my stories all have titles. This one is called "Estatua." (Click the blue icon to view the story).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on another publication!
I wanted to tell you that Toyplayer loved "Ghost V" too, though he was sorry the monsters didn't win.

Anonymous said...

Love the line "I reached into in the sand and came out with a hand full of amber"

Indeterminacy said...

Mrs. W: I wanted to submit to more e-zines but have been lazy about it. I liked this particular one for the mix of surrealism and horror that they featured in their English edition, so it's an honor for me to be included there.

Pia: Thank you. I thought of amber because my muse and I are often in Poland, where amber is very cheap (much of it is found on the Polish Baltic Sea.

Miz BoheMia said...

Congrats indeed! And oh my what a linkalicious post! Now I have some homework on my hands I see... dios mio!

Anonymous said...

No inspiration yet this weekend, I'm afraid, so I went to see Bob Boyd. His current story, about the heart transplant, reminded me of that Sheckley one about the two souls accidentally fused in the same body.

Anonymous said...

P. S. Still uninspired, and read the languages of animals one. Reminded me of Saki's "Tobermory," where the cat can speak English. My favorite part is where the cat asks the owners of a bad car if they have unloaded it on the fool they had hoped to sell it to yet (the fool being is in the room). The owners of course pretend they don't know what Tobermory is talking about, so he says, "You know, the one you call 'the envy of Sisyphus' because it goes quite nicely up hill if you push it."

Jenna said...

Thannk you for sharing this