Wednesday, March 22, 2006

The first time Agnes used sunglasses was at a late-night party. Usually she felt stiff and uneasy when the shades were passed around and slipped over the eyes, but now she felt a strange thrill of attraction. Misgivings dashed aside, she thrust her face into the hug of the ebony arms, pressed the frame into her vision. Her eyes darted excitedly about through dark fields blackly lit with moving blurs and distant voices. She swam in echoes of music, sensed dancing figures around her, glided in and out among the traversers she saw, seeking hands, grasping and tracing her fingers in outlines of the bodily shapes they offered. Her lips slid against lips and her tongue sought the caress of the other tongue. Long it lasted, as she molded herself to form after form in unlit encounter, each inhalation intensifying the nearness. The taste of man and woman alike filled her perceptions. As her lips quivered in exhaustion she tumbled, landing on the soft cushions of a sofa. She removed the glasses, turned her head about to notice the remainder of the party standing stunned, their eyes on her, awestruck, all of them, at her dance with the shadows reflected on the wall.

Story #347

7 comments:

admin said...

Ehm.. where do you actually buy these magic sun-glasses? :D

Indeterminacy said...

You can borrow mine, if you promise to give them back. (But maybe they are called shadowglasses?)

Anonymous said...

I think you captured the oddness of this picture well--her anticipatory look, completely out of proportion to any ordinary pair of shades.

Jamie Dawn said...

"she thrust her face into the hug of the ebony arms"
That is gooood, very good writing.

Helen said...

Sounds like a few acid trips from a long ago life!
Peace............

Indeterminacy said...

Everyon, sorry for my lateness in answering your comments...

Mrs Weirsdo: I don't know how well the story works, but it's the first thing I thought of when I saw that look of hers. Her friends are trying to get her to try the sunglasses, and she's never done that before.

Jamie: I'm happy you liked it. I'm not sure I was completely satisfied with it. My stories like these may be turning into an indeterminacy cliche.

Helen: I like the song "Heroin" by the Velvet Underground, but I've never tried anything myself. I took a few puffs from a cigarette when I was 12 and stopped after it made me cough. I hope you will all still respect me.

Fonte said...

Interesting thoughts I really enjoyed your blog.