Wednesday, February 09, 2005


Snow White had been around for a while. She'd pricked her finger on more than a few spindles, gone out nights while no one was watching, to press lips and wrap tongues with frogs, and lost more slippers in palace bedrooms than she cared to admit. By now the princes had lost interest. They didn't want a beautiful woman going on 30, in orange dress. They preferred a fresh young maiden in white, old enough to be the woman's daughter. Even the mirror qualified its praise with "...in your age class." Snow White returned to live with the dwarves, awaiting resolution of her lawsuit against the Grimm estate for reneging on the "happily ever after" clause in her fairy tale contract.

Story #156

4 comments:

sk8rn said...

I *love* this post. I think it's one of my favorites so far!

Carol Davidson said...

But after a year or two of psychotherapy, she was able to gain a new lease on life when she founded the "When I am an old princess, I shall wear orange" movement.

Indeterminacy said...

Hi Sk8RN: I'm so happy you liked the story! That makes my day.

Hi Abby: My mother (aged 70) sent me a picture of something like that, of a "red hat society" or something, where her same-aged friends get together and wear red hats. guess we're moving towards a color-coded society. What do you do if you're color blind?

Carol Davidson said...

I guess then it becomes, "When I am an old woman, I shall wear ugly." I love this story, too, by the way.