Wednesday, January 19, 2005


No one could see them but they were there, dancing to echoes of music that had once been. The two ghosts glided and swirled across the ballroom floor as smoothly and lightly as could be expected of non-physical entities. In life he had been clumsy on the dance floor but in spirit form his abilities were pure heaven. There were no unpleasant moments as he trod over her feet and if dancers intermingled to an interlude of earthly music, the couple never bumped into them - they moved right through them. The two were alone in their world and as ghosts were assured of their privacy. No one would disturb them or come between them. The two specters revolved and dipped on the dance floor, showing up as dim mysteries on the occasional photograph that might be taken. It was tragic how they had died, and not without a trace of romance, collapsing from exhaustion at the dance endurance contest. They had so wanted to win.

Story #135

2 comments:

arthur decko said...

that was excellent, as usual. "they had so wanted to win" is just perfect right where it is.

The Mushroom said...

And if you listened carefully, out the corner of your ear past every other noise you thought you heard Julie Andrews and Rex Harrison...

I could have danced all night!
I could have danced all night!
And still have begged for more.
I could have spread my wings
And done a thousand things I've never done before.
I'll never know What made it so exciting;
Why all at once My heart took flight. I only know when he
Began to dance with me I could have danced,
danced, danced all night!

-- from My Fair Lady
(Alan Jay Lerner, lyrics - Frederick Loewe, music)