Tuesday, November 30, 2004


Look! There she is. See her? Don't make it too obvious, although I don't imagine she'll notice you looking. I swear, she comes here every night just after six, probably from some office or the trade school. She sits down at the table by the mirror. Always. She orders a cappuccino. I can tell by the cup they bring it in. And sits there staring at herself. No one ever meets her. She hardly even sips the cappuccino. I think she forgets it. Sure she has a beautiful face. I catch myself looking too, sometimes, longer than I'd wanted to. I suppose I can understand why she gazes in the mirror that way. Wish I were that mirror. Once I walked by her table and asked her what time it was. Silly actually. She doesn't wear a watch. I noticed that right off. The look she gave me said stay away. So icy it could have cracked the mirror -- if she hadn't turned her eyes to me for that moment. But only long enough to make it clear I should go. There's no approaching her. No coming between her and that mirror. How would you do it? I've given up.

Story #94

3 comments:

The Mushroom said...

She is a derivation of the myth about Narcissus, falling in love with his own reflection after spurning the affections of the nymph Echo. But in reverse: she is ignoring the echos of the world to admire herself. Narcissus drowned in the pool he gazed upon... she's liable to fall through the looking glass, and not in the same way Alice did.

A woman like that is to be admired -- and pitied.

Milamber said...

I just wanted to say I still very much enjoy reading your stories. I don't comment much, because I don't really know what to say. Keep it up! By the way, the Geoloc-thingy is extremely cool. :)

M.P. said...

Very interesting this short story! The girl in pic is a sort of Snowhite in your text.. I particularly enjoy the fluent writing style you show to have before any pic that appeals to you to write on...
Thank you for link here! :)